Pandemic, Governance, and Comparative Public Opinion Research - WAPOR-GBS webinar with the participation of WVSA members
WEBINAR REGISTRATION LINK
On behalf of the World Association for Public Opinion Research (WAPOR) and the Global Barometer Survey (GBS) we are delighted to invite you to attend the joint WAPOR-GBS webinar that will take place on November 20 (Friday) at 13:00-15:00 GMT (08:00 to 10:00 EST).
The theme of the webinar is “Pandemic, Governance, and Comparative Public Opinion Research”. The focus of the webinar is two-fold: first, we intend to discuss the methodological as well as practical challenges and innovations in public opinion research in the face of the great lockdown caused by the corona-pandemic. Second, the presenters will address the emerging research agenda on state capacity and good governance discussing over what are the most useful existing indicators in understanding the effectiveness in national response to the covid-19 crisis as well as capturing the socio-political impact of covid-19, and what are the emerging issues and variables that ought to be incorporated into our future comparative research, such as the fragility in the current globalized free market system, the inadequate investment in the state, and the glaring social inequality that the pandemic has dramatically exposed.
Topics to be discussed will cover issues and challenges of public opinion research in times of pandemic, based on the survey research experience of regional barometers – members of the Global Barometer Survey group – in East Asia (Asian Barometer); South Asia (South Asian Barometer); Eastern Europe and Post-Soviet Eurasia (Eurasia Barometer); Sub-Saharan Africa (Afrobarometer); Latin America (Latinobarometro) and Middle East and North Africa (Arab Barometer).
- Yunhan Chu (Taiwan), Director of Global Barometer Survey and Professor at National Taiwan University.
- Kseniya Kizilova (Austria/ Ukraine), Head of Secretariat at the World Values Survey Association and WAPOR Chair of Liaison Committee.
- Min-hua Huang (Taiwan), Co-Principal Investigator at Asian Barometer and Professor at the Department of Political Science of National Taiwan University.
- Sandeep Shastri (India), coordinator of South Asia Barometer and a Pro-Vice- Chancellor of Jain University, Director of the Centre for Research in Social Sciences and Education, World Values Survey Principal Investigator for India.
- Christian Haerpfer (Austria/UAE), Director of Eurasia Barometer, Professor of Sociology in the Department of Government and Society at the United Arab Emirates University and President of the World Values Survey Association.
- Boniface Dulani (Malawi), Director of surveys at Afrobarometer and Senior Lecturer and Project Research Coordinator at the University of Malawi.
- Marta Lagos (Chile), the founding director of the Latinobarómetro Corporation, Co-Chair of the Global Barometer Survey and member of the World Values Survey Executive Committee.
- Michael Robbins (USA), Director of Arab Barometer and Research Fellow at Princeton University.
WEBINAR REGISTRATION LINK
Program_WAPOR-GBS_webinar.pdf [Download count:15]